| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Removing Polyurethane from Oak Treads

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (ct-waterbury1b-56.wtrbct.adelphia.net)
Date: 4/2/4 11:32

In Response To: Re: Removing Polyurethane from Oak Treads (James Schooley)

While Minwax Poly certainly wouldn't be a good choice for antiques, or fine furniture...it's a decent enough product for stair treads, and CAN be recoated over existing poly or varnish after proper prep with excellent results and adhesion.It dries fast, flows out well, and achieves a good hardness when fully cured. Adhesion problems result more from contamination of dirt, oils, wax, silicones,mildew or mold, etc. I have used just about every varnish, varnish/poly, Modified varnish, Arylic urethanes,Hybrid varnish, Tung oil varnish, etc., and also refinished thousands of pieces of furniture, and I have seen floor guys use this product on an existing finish without negative results, although most pro floor guys are using waterbourne urethanes now... After thorough drying, it rubs out pretty well with four 0 steel wool and a rubbing lubricant, but doesn't wax well...an oil based polish is a better choice. In my shop I also use and keep several kinds and grades of shellac, lacquers, waterborne coatings, catalyzed solvent and waterborne coatings, oils, etc. All have their uses....Minwax is so prevelant because they control the market, so it's easy to find everywhere..as James says...there are much better choices..

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.