| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Removing Polyurethane from Oak Treads

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@earthlink.net> (ct-waterbury1b-56.wtrbct.adelphia.net)
Date: 4/2/4 23:01

In Response To: Re: Removing Polyurethane from Oak Treads (James Schooley)

Give me some figures and I'll gladly do the math...most manufacturers, Minwax included, state that a properly prepped old varnished surface in good condition can be recoated fine....just like shellac. shellac is far softer than any modern varnish...yes it sticks to about anything...but is not water resistant, or cat scratch/labrador resistent, and needs to be recoated often, which is a sticky smelly job, floor finishing has made great strides, and the coatings technology has also. If you can chip the resulting coat off with little effort then your prep work was not sufficient, and the floor is not clean enough to have been recoated in my opinion. Most "polys" are modified Alkyd varnishes with urethanes added for elasticity and durability, except of course in the case of acrylics or so called waterbourne urethanes. It's true that varnishes don't burn into the previous coat the way lacquer and shellac tend to do, so they rely on the mechanical bond that paint does, but if you live in an old house, you know how well layers and layers...and layers of paint bond to each other.Any 100 year old floor with shellac on it has been refinished several times....if it looks half way decent...

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.