| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Removing Polyurethane from Oak Treads

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (ct-waterbury1b-56.wtrbct.adelphia.net)
Date: 4/4/4 01:34

In Response To: Re: Removing Polyurethane from Oak Treads (James Schooley)

Once again I beg to disagree...respectfully...but Most modern pianos are finished with conversion varnishes and catalyzed lacquers..and now many of the major manufacturers, like Yamaha are using polyester finishes. There is nothing harder...and unfortunately nothing harder to repair successfully.I know this because I have been called on to repair them and talked to the manufacturers..and even had to buy specialty products to repair these finishes..several guitar manufacturers use polyester finishes too...they haven't used nitro cellulose or shellac for many years...I'm not too sure what you mean regarding poor shellac and good shellac..there are many grades of shellac..waxed and dewaxed from Deep unrefined garnet to highly refined Blonde grades..it goes bad over time...and thats why it's smart to mix your own from flake so you know the shelf life, I regularily use at least three grades...most poly's I've used or run into strip ok...I think you may be thinking about a conversion varnish like Duravar or Krystal, or conversion lacquers that kitchen and furniture manufacturers use which are catalyzed and almost impossible to strip...I am not trying to be argumentative...I am just trying to give my perspective, which should complement yours, I have been in this along time too...and the information you're giving is only partially correct...

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.