| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Removing Polyurethane from Oak Treads

Posted By: James Schooley (0-1pool247-123.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 4/2/4 09:50

In Response To: Re: Removing Polyurethane from Oak Treads (Greg Scholl)

Minwax may be the best of the worst, but I see these Poly type finishes shed all the time. I never hear so many complaints as with the polymer type finiahes, especially on floors, where they will need occasional touch up and recoating. Both are impossible with this kind of finish since a later coating will not properly adhear. I can't advise in all honesty that pepple use this ugly plastic for more reasons that you may want to hear. Most of the finishers who defend this finish do so because they have used it themselves, maybe alot, and aren't ready to accept the thought of what is to come. I have done a lot of floors, cabinets, and thousands of furniture pieces, nothing looks worse than Poly on an antique, it scorches from a cigarette in one second, has the worst UV resistance of any other finish, cracks since it lacks flexibility, won't buff with steel wool or polish like shellac, won't hold out water like varnish, and can't be recoated endlessly like lacquer. So why bother, as a professional it isn't worth the trouble, and I can't garantee it.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.