| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

gilt incising

Posted By: JIM <jarr71864@aol.com> (199.76.145.101)
Date: 2/22/5 09:13

the recent gold leaf questions have prompted me to ask if anyone knows about gilding incised lines in old victorian furniture. i have tried bronze paint and gold paint and very tiny brushes, but i always get globs of paint up on the flat surface (painting out of the lines) and using solvents to clean up my mess often causes problems on the wood finish. I have not tried traditional gilding materials, yet, as i cant see that i will be more successful with that - it still involves painting on a thin line of the adhesive in the tiny incised groove, first, just like painting on the gold paint. all of the antique furniture i see has a very crisp clean gilding line and ive even seen some reproduction furniture that has this gilding that looks perfect - is there a secret ? if i use gold leaf and the proper adhesive will my lines be clean and crisp ? or is this just a case of user error (im usually very neat and precise - just not on these darned gold lines ...) thanks, as usual

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.