| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Restoring 1939 oak flooring issues

Posted By: James Schooley (0-1pool247-148.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 7/4/4 02:15

In Response To: Re: Restoring 1939 oak flooring issues (Greg Scholl)

Just for the record and anyone hoping to learn from this thread, this refinisher has already stated he intends to sand and has started sanding this floor. Scrubbing a floor with 0000 steel wool and alcohol one more time would be much more work than some moping. I have tested the method I suggested with diluted amonia and an oxalic acid bleaching, the process worked very effectivly and easily. Much simpler than being hunched over a floor with steel wool, and alcohol. Since there is only a 65 year old floor the antique value here is fairly low, and since the querry involves sanding as part of the intended process the patina issue is a mute one. Sanding will remove all possible blotchy effect, and when the amonia is allowed to remain on the wood ten minutes befor rinsing the darkening is only slight, so faint that I can remove it completely with a few quick passes from 150 grit paper.

Watco states on the can that it is not intended as a floor finish, a stain would be ok with a good finish over it. Also know that Watco stain is almost entirely linseed oil, no polymers, just spirits and oil and a little cobalt. The advantage to Watco to boiled linseed oil is that you don't have to do any mixing and it comes in eight colors. So when you need to go back over somthing the same stuff is right there on the shelf. Also the quality of linseed oil in Watco is far better than what is sold in the paint store.

Somtimes I think we need to go back and study the question as it is presented, and not involve too much of our personal values in the answer. As for an oil and wax finish, that is a high mantiance floor, requiring a lot of waxing and restaining of the wear that is bound to occur. I know that we all have our preffered methods and that is good for the readers to consider all good options. Here we read that shellac has been holding up on these floors since the mid thirtys, obviously it can continue to work as a floor finish in the forseable future. Let us not forget that poly finishes are not intended to last over ten years.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.