| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Fish ey killer/eliminator/smoothie

Posted By: Raymond L. Watkins <accurend@comcast.net> (c-24-2-7-3.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: 6/22/5 20:23

In Response To: Re: finish problem (Greg Scholl)

I would like to make a couple of suggestions concerning refinishing any furniture. First of all assume that all pieces of furniture have been waxed and dusted a few times in there life time. Also if you are after a really good, perfectly smooth finish, the first thing I do is wipe the piece down with Prep-sol (automotive refinishing wax and grease remover) or PPG Acryli-Clean DX330. I then proceed as described earlier. With these 2 exceptions.

I alwasy fill open grain woods (Oak, Mahiogany & walnut, etc.) with a grain filler, prior to sealing and final stain. Follow the directions on the can. I add stain to the filler.

I use Nitro-Cellulose laquer for good finishes. You need to use a laquer sealer first, adding a squirt of Fish eyer eliminator, I use Smoothie. It has begin use in the automotive refinishing busines since 1951.

Add a squirt of fish eye eliminator into each cup of laquer as you finish the job. That is how to get a perfect jkob reguardless of how much lemon pledge or other silicone polish/wax has been applied to the piece of furniture over the yuears.

That is How I get those mirror slick finishs. ONce done you can always use 0000 steel wool & wax to achiev a matte natural looking finish.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.