| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Finish Depression Era Dining Room Set

Posted By: Kathy <tkcoggins@bellsouth.net> (adsl-156-19-68.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: 3/31/5 22:01

In Response To: Re: Finish Depression Era Dining Room Set (James Schooley)

The wood was very smooth and almost flawless but had a very red tint after being stripped. There wasn't really a veneer on any of the furniture it was actually painted/stained to accomplish the look it had, but I may be wrong, I consider a veneer during that time period a very thin layer of some type of wood over a less expensive wood. When I took the original finish off the last layer was a thick layer of burnt orange (adobe brick color) paint that was covered by a stain then a finish (don't know what) to give it the mahogany look. Since it was the depression era I'm thinking that they could not afford the true mahogany wood. The furniture was located in a room where coal was used for heat in the fireplace. So some of the discoloration I am sure came from the environment. The furniture manufacturer was Trogdon Furniture Company from Toccoa, GA. I have tried to look them up but the company has either been sold or no longer in business. I will try to get photos and post sometime this weekend. Thank you for your help.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.