| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Textured oak table

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (ct-waterbury1b-56.wtrbct.adelphia.net)
Date: 9/19/4 00:28

In Response To: Re: Textured oak table (James Schooley)

Red Oak was rarely used in furniture construction 100 years ago..this table is most likely White Oak, and possibly has quarter sawn figure. A good Random orbit sander will work fine on a table top like this, and if you don't scrub the surface with the sander but instead move slowly in even passes with the grain, about an inch every second, you will minimize the swirls from the sandpaper that James eludes to, and remove material quickly. I own a Bosch and a DeWalt, and both excell at fine sanding, the Bosch is even variable speed, a really nice tool, and both feature dust collectors that really work. Start with 80 grit and progress through 120, and follow with a hand sanding afterwards to make sure to eliminate all the sander marks...I use a 1" thick styrofoam sanding block for this...but there will not be much to do on oak if you've machine sanded properly. A sharp cabinet scraper is also a good choice if the grain is really that raised, but I don't think it will be. Most oak furniture will show the open grain that the wood is famous for, so I wouldn't go crazy to fill the grain unless for some reason you desire that filled grain, high gloss look.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.