| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Textured oak table

Posted By: James Schooley <furnitureissues@earthlink.net> (0-2pool241-196.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 9/18/4 22:20

In Response To: Re: Textured oak table (martin)

I think that you are experincing a typical old red oak table top. The heavy open grain and lots of use has made the weaker part of the wood degrade more quickly. The table may need complete stripping and a heavy sanding if you want a good smooth finish. Choose a liquid stripper for shellac only, and if some of the stain remains it can be bleached out with a 2 part bleach found at paint stores. I am not happy with the vibrating sanders for a final sand, they leave spiral scratches that come out in the stain and look very bad. I will use a block of wood that fits a belt sander belt, adding a wedge or such to tighten the fit. Starting with 120 grit, grind out as much of the as possible befor resorting to 100 grit. Plan on taking off a bit of wood to get it smooth. Place a stright edge on the middle of the table, place a light down low so it shines ubder the stright edge, and turn out the lights. Use a pencil to mark the low spots, turn the lights back on and use the big sanding block to take off the high spots. Keep this up till the table is flat, start to fine sand with the higher grits till you are up to 180, no higher is needed for red oak. Pick up a grain filler and add some stain so it satisfies your expectations. Make sure the filler and the finish work together on a test board, sand with 320 grit between coats, and I hope you can avoid poly type finishes, good luck.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.