| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Moving and restoring antique piano-HELP!

Posted By: James Schooley (0-1pool247-177.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 3/21/4 11:02

In Response To: Moving and restoring antique piano-HELP! (Susan Strickland)

Me again, I avoid piano moving whenever possible, the possibility of injury for those not properly aquainted is great. Some think a few guys and some beer can move onything. This kind of thinking is faulty and sexist, since guys always feel it important to show their masculine prowes for the fairer sex and beer just makes what good judgment is present, reduced. I have seen a pair of experienced piano movers pick up an upright grand, and set it onto a dollie without the slightest flinch. Knowing just how this is done and hundreds of attempts has made this look easy, four of us regular guys in my shop struggled to do the same thing when the piano came in for refinishing, and I had a lot of back pain for days to follow. Because of my willingness to lift anything for so many years has resulted in a condition that I will have to live with, painfully. I have seen a piano that was stood up in a pickup, with only one poor soul to steady it, turn both into the street with tremondous percusive results. I would suggest good straps properly fixed, or an enclosed trailer. The right equipment and the right talent is what you need.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.