| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Moving and restoring antique piano-HELP!

Posted By: Susan Strickland <susanjfs@yahoo.com> (1Cust96.tnt4.atl4.da.uu.net)
Date: 3/20/4 12:29

I'm new to the world of antiques. I was in an antique store yesterday and an upright piano caught my eye. The store is closing soon and one of the vendors offered to let me HAVE the piano if I'll come in and move it so she doesn't have to. The piano is in great shape! The keys are yellowed of course (they are ivory), but most of them play. The inside of the instrument looks to be in great shape too. My questions are: what care do I need to have to move such an instrument? AND once I have it home, how should it be restored? The inside top of the piano is beautiful! You can see the original finish and it's been untouched as far as I can tell. The outside looks black and seems a bit "rough" to the touch though. I'm not sure if this is from "oxidatation" or furniture polish build up or some of both. I do know that the instrument has never been painted, which I thought was a great thing. Unfortunatly, I don't know the kind of wood that it's made of and I didn't think to ask. I mainly want this for an heirloom piece for my children, not something to play, although I'd like to have it looked at from the inside out sometime. My main concerns right now are getting it home (about 10 miles) and getting it restored on the outside. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.