| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Old Canvas trunk Restoration

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (pmspen1-82.rconnect.com)
Date: 7/3/3 03:17

In Response To: Old Canvas trunk Restoration (Sheila)

I think that you will be able to remove the canvas with steam from a clothes iron or a wallpaper steamer, other wise a soaking of white vinegar should do. The idea is not to let the wood get too wet and not to dry too fast, as that may cause warping. I use a little moisture on both sides to even out the dampness and reduce anw warping. all the wood should be carefully sanded so as not to damage the metal parts, here I would use some heavy masking tape to cover it while sanding and finishing. As for the interior a little vinegar in there will help get out any old wallpaper paste, this could be done while the canvas is soaking. Paper on the inside is most desirable, it cleans easier, and is a benefit since the wood is often very rough. Why anyone would think it didn't hold up is beyound me, the trunks I have fixed were 75 to 120 years old and most of the paper was still fairly good, just old and dry. Consider using a fine print wallpaper as my suggestion, unless you plan to give the trunk a lot more rough treatment than bagage handlers and intend to leave it out in the rain for hours and in a hot attic for decades, I don't see a problem. All the ones I have papered are doing well to the best of my knolege, and scraps of the replacement paper can be saved, just in case.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.