| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Pine stain formula

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (67-22-200-210.albyny.adelphia.net)
Date: 6/28/5 21:32

In Response To: Pine stain formula (Michael Shelley)

Hi Mike, I assume that Southern Yellow pine is the same as "Pitch pine"? Meaning it has an amber sap vein to the grain? What finish is it that you're using? One of the best solutions that I have used is Caustic Soda (Lye- sodium hydroxide)....you can use straight lye but here's a better method...find a stripper business that uses the Caustic Soda bath method and get him to provide you with a gallon or so of the stripper solution complete with some of the sludge from the bottom of the tank. Most European pine was painted originally, and therefore has been stripped...and usually with a Lye bath stripping method.The Caustic Soda will temper the color of the pine to that scrubbed pine look.At first it may turn darker or lemon yellow, but wash it off with some clean water and let it dry...it will temper.I will energize the solution occaisonally with a few teaspoons of fresh lye..(sold as Drain opener}..the sludge from the stripping tank, made up of paints of all different colors, in combination with the lye gives a perfect "aged" pine look to new and freshly stripped pine. The effect is quite thin though so make sure that you have sanded to 120-220 grit before hand.No neutralizing is necessary because the dried solution is pretty inert...the best finish is a wax that is high in Beeswax content..Fiddes, Briwax,etc.It gives the most "authentic" antique look...but a satin waterborne acrylic urethane also will give the same look with more protection...and can be waxed as well.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.