| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Need I.D. on English Table Game

Posted By: CJ Green <cjg53@pacbell.net> (adsl-69-231-230-210.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: 6/21/5 21:59

A few months ago I bought an item at auction that I'd never seen before. It looks like an antique wooden box (with one short-side wide open) sitting on a 4-legged stand. When you open the box it folds out length-wise into a green felt playfield. At one end are 9 wooden depressions numbered 1-9 in a near-circular pattern w/ the "9" in the center of the circle. There's one slight, very shallow divit in front of the grouping of numbered depressions.

At the far end of the playfield there's another divit connected to a lighter-colored pattern that looks like the 3-point line on a pro basketball court. THe game came with 4 red balls, 4 white balls and 1 black ball all roughly 1 1/4 inches across. There are also cribbage-like holes for (I assume) scoring pegs. There arte no pool cues or anything else that came w/ the piece. (This is, I think, a smaller scale version of this game since, at the same auction, there was a much larger version.)

From the style of the numers painted in the depressions I'm guessing the game to be from the 1930's.

I've written to 2 British antique dealers but neither has had the courtesy to respond. (It's been a few months.) I've tried to research on the Internet but, w/out a name for the game, I'm not getting very far.

If anyone knows ANYTHING about this game please let me know!!!

Also, I'd like to replace the faded green felt and wonder if anyone knows how to remove and install new felt. I need to replace 2 pieces roughly 14" X 2'5" and all I have ever seen in Home Depot are the small sheets.

Thanks so much in advance. If nothing else, I'd like the rules so I can play!

Best,

CJ Green

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.