| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Empire Sideboard

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (67-22-200-210.albyny.adelphia.net)
Date: 6/6/5 22:33

In Response To: Empire Sideboard (SSD)

As one who does a lot of repairs for dealers, I'd have to say that some do and some don't...some dealers present their stock in "as is" or "original" condition...and some restore things fully and present them as original with "some restorations to..." Splits in the top can be a problem, because it's veneered, this means the substrate has shrunk to an extreme level. Unfortunately damage of this type is caused by over exposure to dry environments...forced hot air heat, baseboard heat, etc. One of the most important things a collector or dealer can do, is to pay attention to the relative humidity in their display area...or home...once this type of damage has occured, it definately affects the value in a negative way, because of the required repairs to bring it back....and once allowed to happen the piece will never be the same.I have often counseled dealers and collectors on using hygrometers to observe relative humidity and how to maintain relative humidity in a given space, and how important it is for the longevity of these items. One dealer even asked me to produce a written handout for his customers to explain the ins and outs of humidity and lack of it..Cracks will have to be filled...there are many ways of filling them...what you can't do is make them "uncrack"....this is why it's so important to prevent this type of damage from happening in the first place....

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.