| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Antique Safes, Useful General Information

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (67-22-200-210.albyny.adelphia.net)
Date: 4/1/5 11:04

In Response To: Re: Antique Safes, Useful General Information (James Schooley)

Yes, thanks Ken...I'd be interested if you could elaborate as to how a safe cracker charges...is it hourly?....perhaps by the job?......how often can a safe be cracked without having to damage or destroy it?....and what types and dates of safes are easiest to crack and hardest? When I was a boy we had a double door Mosler in the basement of our Victorian house that was bigger than a large refrigerator. It had been left there by the previous owners who did not know the comination. My Dad payed to have it cracked with great anticipation of the riches and lost treasures inside.......it was empty except for a piece of paper....... with the combination on it! The guy who cracked it said that in the 20's it was considered secure, but now (early 70's) he wouldn't store anything valuable in it because it was apparently pretty easy to crack..he estimated that it weighed 1500-2000lbs. and we all wondered how they got it into the house.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.