| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Wood finishes

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (ct-waterbury1b-56.wtrbct.adelphia.net)
Date: 3/26/5 17:22

In Response To: Re: Wood finishes (Greg Scholl)

I agree with Roger, Poly has a bad name typically because amatuers frequently buy Gloss Polyurethane at the local K-Mart and badly finish things with it, with poor technique and knowledge. Many of the "poly's" designed for wood are modified Alkyd or traditional varnishes fortified with urethanes. The latest of these are flexible, dry with a soft sheen and rub out well, and make excellent, resiliant, and pretty finishes. I also use gel varnishes containing urethanes, water based urethanes, and other polyurethane varnishes..including, GASP ..Minwax...on occaision..and with proper techniques they adhere well, flow out well, and can yield excellent results.But I never buy Gloss urethanes for furniture use....always satin or semigloss, and I have even mixed them for an inbetween sheen...the real thing to keep in mind is that varnishes make a mechanical bond between coats, not a chemical burn in to the previous layer like shellacs and lacquers, so extra care must be taken when applying, sanding, and rubbing out varnishes not to abrade through to the previous coat. There is no easier, fool proof method of finishing wood than a good Gel varnish like Moser's,Bartleys, Behlen's Master Gel, or Mastercraft, Watco wipe on, Minwax wipe on, Waterlox, (some urethane, some mod. tung oil w/ urethane, some Alkyd w/urethane) or whatever. I wouldn't pick them for a dining table top or fine antique, or every job in the shop, but for the amatuer that just wants really good results easily on small pieces, chairs, interior woodwork,etc....you can't beat them.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.