| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Cleaning Globe-Wernicke

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (ct-waterbury1b-56.wtrbct.adelphia.net)
Date: 3/24/5 11:19

In Response To: Re: Cleaning Globe-Wernicke (Jennifer G.)

I still feel the best bet here would be fine steel wool/ScothBrite and turps or mineral spirits. Most of these over the counter preparations are nothing more than mineral spirits based cleaners with fragrance and other non essential additives....and they can cost up to 20 times as much ounce for ounce. I happen to prefer real Turpentine for cleaning gunk like this..I think it has better solvent qualities and evaporates faster leaving more of the gunk on the rags...but maybe thats just "old school" thinking...I happen to prefer the smell too, although remember to only attempt this type of cleaning with excellent ventilation....or outside. I would start with a white ScotchBrite pad cut into about a 3"x4" pads and pour some turps into a small tray like the ones microwaveable foods come in...and work in small areas drying with t-shirt rags as you go...steel wool will definately abrade better...but will tend to abrade the finish too....experimentation will be your guide...

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.