| Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Monterey dresser's been painted over

Posted By: Jenna <jennamitch@earthlink.net> (dialup-4.232.213.120.Dial1.LosAngeles1.Level3.net)
Date: 11/1/5 19:14

Hello, I've got a Monterey dresser drawer that someone has painted over. They left an area on one drawer unpainted, so the handpainted cactus design is still there -- I don't know if there are designs on the other drawers, but of course I'd like to preserve them if they are there. So basically I'd like to take off the paint & not disturb the original work. I read the following in the archives of this group in response to a similar question: "If you get ahold of a product called peel-away tm or safest stripper (3M) they are able to remove the top coat without disturbing the original casein based paint. However -- I must caution you that this is an inherently risky procedue and success depends upon proper timing and the fact that you absolutely know that the original paint is casein based.

I know the piece is 20's-50's, but don't know what kind of paint or lacquer was used originally or in the 2nd painting. It does look as if some clear lacquer was used over the design.

Does anyone have any more specific advice regarding product to use & specifications on how to work with it? I'd really appreciate it as I wouldn't be able to afford a Monterey in good condition, this is my one chance! :) Thank you very much.

| Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.