| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

mahogany table - pads left black marks

Posted By: Joanne from Tampa <joanne813@hotmail.com> (tampa-dial-pool-205-208-148-251.ispnetbilling.com)
Date: 11/27/4 20:04

Hi! I bought an old Duncan Phyfe dining table, chairs and sideboard. The set was in her mom's un-air-conditioned house with the pads left on the table for years. Some of the chairs are lighter, I think they were hit by sun. I soaked the table top with Holloway House lemon oil, but the stuff didn't come lose. I used some mineral spirits rubbing lightly with a towel on a small area(WRONG) that turned some of the black stuff white and I was able to scrape a few bits off with my fingernail. It didn't scratch, but removed the varnish and the stain is still there. The crud from the pads is black, and there are also some white marks probably left by hot dishes. We chipped a few small pieces of the veneer from the table top bringing it in. So far I've bought boiled linseed oil and 0000 steel wool and super fine sandpaper, Murphy's oil soap (that didn't do a thing). I also got Durhams water putty and a plastic spatula (suggested by the Home Depot guy) for filling in the small veneer chips. Help! The undamaged finish (about 4/5ths of the table top) is still beautiful, and I'd love to restore it. Thank you.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.