| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: preserving original finish - how far can you g

Posted By: Paul Ellsworth <paul.ellsworth@worldnet.att.net> (246.cambridge-09rh15-16rt.ma.dial-access.att.net)
Date: 11/1/4 09:15

In Response To: Re: preserving original finish - how far can you g (Jan Harrington)

I would like some advice on finish repair on a Hitchcock-style rush seated chair. The seat is completely gone which I intend to replace myself with 6/32" Natural Rush (purchased from woodworker.com in 220' rolls). The frame is solid needing only replacement of one of the side edging pieces that goes over the rush seat. There is no stencilling or it has been removed. There are a few nicks\in the finish ont the legs & rungs that need to be re-stained (?) and the finish most of the wood lacks any shine. (I think it has been patrially restored & probably of little value as an antique but I like the chair style & have located 4 additional chairs that need seats. What is a good top finish for this chair (mahogany stained) and for the set for 4 black stencilled chaire?

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.