| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Help with Finish on 1930's walnut hutch

Posted By: Mike Hartley <mike247118@aol.com> (adsl-215-61-197.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: 10/10/4 11:09

I recently purchased a 1930's french deco hutch. The doors are solid walnut and faced with a beautiful walnut veneer. The veneer is in excellent condition, with no blistering/cracking/seperation at all. Overall the piece is in excellent condition and has a great patina. The finish is presenting me with a dillema, however.

It appears to be original, and when viewed straight on looks to be in good condition. However, if you view the surfaces from a low angel under good light, you can see dull/worn patches in the surface. I do NOT want to strip and refinish this piece under any circumstances. My first goal is to prevent any further deterioration/protect it, particularly the veneers. Secondarily, if there is a way to restore the finish without destroying the patina/integrity of the piece, I would consider it. I was going to use Briwax per the recommendation of a local wood shop, but found that it has strong solvents that can disolve older finishes, so I am now a bit leery of using it. Any help and advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.