| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: great great grandmother's trunk

Posted By: Jackie Short <Taramis9@aol.com> (cache-ntc-aa09.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 9/27/4 02:05

In Response To: Re: great great grandmother's trunk (James Schooley)

I am currently working on my husband's old steamer trunk. I've read various info on the internet. It's possible that the material you described on the outside of the trunk is canvas. The inside is usually lined with paper, which unfortunately seems to always need replacing. According to my reading, that's the best way to get rid of the mildew, moldy smell. Remove the paper lining by dampening the paper (not soaking)and scraping it off with a putty knife or wire brush.The lining in our trunk came off easily this way. I then washed the inside with part amonia and water and let it sit out in the sun for a couple of days. Smell is gone! It also helps to put a fabric softner sheet in there and close the lid. Re: the canvas, if that's what it is, I used regular dish soap and very gently washed it.It came up quite nice. There are some wonderful sites out there. Shenandoah Antique Restorters has a great site with a link to another great site. Check it out. Good luck!

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.