| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: camelback chest with paper liner

Posted By: James Schooley <furnitureissues@earthlink.net> (0-1pool246-149.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 9/24/4 10:34

In Response To: camelback chest with paper liner (Stacie)

This isn't the Declaration of Independance, but I appreciate your concern. At times the paper inside a trunk just has to be repalced. The previous owner of my old house was a hardware salesman, and he was frugal too. He used his samples all over the house when they weren't needed any longer. The point here is that when I go into one of my small closets, I see trunk paper on the walls. It didn't cover every thing, only about 25 Sq. Ft. But the design looks much too fine for the usual wall print, this paper appears to be better suited for small things like trunks. I feel that the paper became worn out and needed replacing from time to time and that is somthing that was done when needed. You may be more fortunate however, since we can reproduce this paper at a print shop. I will carefully steam off the old paper and fix it to white paper from news paper roll ends, mooched from the local rag. Use artist's spray mount adhesive to reassemble as big a section as you can, as well as sections of all the fancy trim they may have used. Find a shop that can make a large color copy and have them reproduce all the pieces you will need to reproduce the original look. Take some pictures so you can tell where everything was after it has all been claened off. I am using a vinyl wall paste for this, but test the paper first and ask for a paper that has water resistanse and water proof ink. You can use other adhesives for scrap booking if the vinly glue won't work. Make sure all the old surfaces are clean and that any splits are glued back in place. I hope this helps, but the old paper is going to fall out in time, and short of varnish or clear contact paper I don't have any way to save the old original paper, just a copy of it may be as good as we can do.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.