| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Howard Robert guitar tortouise pick guard

Posted By: Raymond L.Watkins <accurend@comcast.net> (c-67-174-86-170.client.comcast.net)
Date: 4/25/4 01:36

In Response To: Re: Howard Robert guitar tortouise pick guard (Peter Dale)

Wayne,

First of all, hang on to the tortoise shell pick guard. More later on that. I would recommend a modern replacement tortise shell "look alike" pick guard, made of platic or other "celluloid" type materials. The importing of the tortoise shell materials that were used long ago are now illegal and falls under the protection of the endangered species act.

I can suggest contacting one of the best in the trade, Gruhn Guitar in Nashville Tennessee. I assure you they are the best of the best.

http://www.gruhn.com/

They have a great repair and restoration shop. I have worked with them on several occasions.

Now for that old tortise shell pick guard. I would "re-cycle" it. By that I mean, heat it in warm water to flatten it out and then cut guitar picks from it. Assuming it is broken and missing pieces, thus NOT usab;le as a pick guard? Some guitarist prize that "natural" flexiability of a real tortise shell guitar pick, you can fetch a good price from them.

Picks affect the tone of a guitars sound more than any other factor in my humble opinion.

Guitar player Quote, "You can find the "holy grail" (ie. real Tortoise Shell), much to the dislike of many due the illegality of the purchase, and for many it's the only choice. I have a few and use them quite a bit. Expense versus conscience??? You be the judge. You may want to seek legal council on the detail. Generally, Antiques can be legally salvaged and used for pick material, but this keeps the "market" alive and, in many people's opinion, contributes to the reason the tortoise made the endangered species list in the first place. end of quote.

You can expect to pay from $10.00 to $20.00..on up to $35.00 for a good thin real Tortoise Shell guitar pick. Ebay does NOT allow the sale of Ivory, Leopard skins, Rino Horns or Tortoise Shell items!!

Raymond L. Watkins Texas

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.