| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Finish for guitar

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (ct-waterbury1b-56.wtrbct.adelphia.net)
Date: 4/1/4 19:05

In Response To: Re: Finish for guitar (James Schooley)

Always more than one way to skin a cat, I wouldn't use anything but Dewaxed shellac under lacquer if thats the route you go...shellac will add some pop to the Koa...but the thicker it is,..the softer it is. I would use a dye stain like Transtint, diluted to the right shade, (they are REALLY concentrated, and if you go too dark, you have a problem..), and use a polymerized tung oil varnish sealer then gloss/med./low sheen varnish topcoat(like J.E. Mosers wipe-on, Behlen's Master Gel for a softer sheen), they flow out beautifully and you can wetsand between coats if needed. All of these methods have a skill level involved, and this is one easy way to apply a tough high performance finish. I have also used several "water based" urethanes..(really glycol ether..water soluble), Like Hood's excellent Hydrocote line..www.hoodfinishing.com,Oxford's Emtech or Ultima lines..are also excellent,(check www.homesteadfinishing.com...Transtints there too..) with very good results, and some can be catalyzed for a harder film.You won't have too much of a grain raising problem with Koa, as its hard and resinous.Love to see a picture when you're done!!

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.