| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Apprentice/schools

Posted By: James Schooley (0-2pool241-145.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 3/5/4 20:15

In Response To: Apprentice/schools (Thomas)

There are three ways to do what you want, and you must want it very badly if you expect to be succesful. One, the most common method is the mentor method. You fimd someone that you can agree with philosophically and learn every thing they are willing to teach you. the best approch for this is to try to work with this person, but an education is not cheep, most trainees in this business are costly to have around so don't expect a lot of pay at first. You must expect to have an agreement not to compete in their market when you choose to leave. This is not always the case, but you must not take business or employees from these people or you will ruin it for the next guy.

Second, take classes at a qualified trade school, say Dakota Tech, in Minnesota. They can't teach all the hands on and day to day business, but a good refinishing school will get you off to a good start. The classes don't explain all the situations and circumstances you will run into, but the technical part is very good.

Third, jump right in, also fairly common, primarily among the early failures. Unless you are unique, you won't get past the first three years. And you will burn through a lot of money. Even if you start out small, part time, and in your home shop, not the best way and codes may not allow it in your case.

All in all it is a good way to live, you won't get rich, at least as a one person shop. But there is a lot of work and frankly most of the competition is not very good with antiques. I will be considering taking on a new associate soon and I feel my thirtythree years of experience is a high value in this consideration. Feel free to contact me or send your resum'e, I am listed among the professionals an this site. Go to Iowa-Spencer the Furniture Doctor, good luck, James.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.