| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: stubborn china cabinet

Posted By: James Schooley <jschooleyfamily@earthlink.net> (0-2pool241-194.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 1/5/4 22:34

In Response To: Re: stubborn china cabinet (anthony)

The veneer can be reglued with liquid hide glue, lay it down so the loose veneer is horizontal, scrape out any old glue with a thin sharp tool and then push the glue as far into the cavity as you can. A tooth pick or butter knife should do. Apply pressure with padded clamps and wax paper underneath, a sand bag or even a bag of sugar will work on curved surfaces. When I clean an old finish I use a quick wash with a mild soap, rinse with cold water and dry right away. Next I use a soft cloth (old cotton sock) and paint thinner, rub an area vigorsly and wipe with a clean paper towel, notice what is comming off the finish on the paper towel. Continue this way till the paper towel shows no dirt or other residue, the finish when clean, will squeek under your damp fingers. Now that the finish is completly clean you can sand with 320 grit sand paper and recoat with fresh shellac. Apply at least two coats with a good sow bristle brush (the expensive ones work best) and 320 grit scuff sanding between coats. When you are satisfied with the results allow to dry for 48 hours and buff with 0000 steel wool for a satin effect, scrub, buff, and sand in the direction of the grain only. A satin wax can be applied for protection, wax in small areas and apply very thinly.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.