| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE CERAMIC RESTORATION and CONSERVATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Paraloid B-72 Best way to mix?

Posted By: David <Dab67@dab67.dabsol.co.uk> (host81-129-134-177.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: 4/1/4 04:53

In Response To: Paraloid B-72 Best way to mix? (Ken Kassel)

Hello Ken,

There is a known method called the "Koob method" for mixing the B-72 pellets in Acetone, it details the exact amounts to mix etc, I cannot put my hands on the receipe at the moment but as soon as I find it I'll pass it on.

I myself make my own up by 3/4 filling a small airtight jar with Acetone, then add B-72 granules/pellets in small amounts, leave the jar overnight and by the morning its mostly if not all dissolved, I then give the jar a good shake and leave to one side to let the bubbles dissappear, after this I continue to add pellets in small amounts and repeat the process until the mixture in the jar becomes thick and by that stage has a good amount of B-72 pellets mixed in. It ends up having the consistency of slighly runny UHU glue.

I then just use when required, if I need to use it to consolidate flaking paint, plaster etc I just thin a small amount down further with more Acetone before using. If I am using it to glue say a piece of earthenware, I just use as is straight from the jar.

You can also add small amounts of fumed silica to thicken if required.

Do make sure you have good ventilation and preferably extraction as you don't want to be breathing in Acetone.

Basically you just need to leave it longer as the pellets do take some time to dissolve, its not a fast process but the way you are doing it will work.

Hope this helps

David

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE CERAMIC RESTORATION and CONSERVATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.