| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE CERAMIC RESTORATION and CONSERVATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: glass restoration

Posted By: Tom Mercer <tmercer@home.com> (24.64.195.91.bc.wave.home.com)
Date: 3/7/0 01:24

In Response To: glass restoration (Tami)

Tami - read my previous post to Paul regarding this same issue, using HXTAL to bond glass. In your case though, I would wonder if there was some inherent stress in the glass prior to breaking, which has been relieved because it broke. I find that sometimes with a break that is not due to physical shock that this is the case (especially with cast or occasionally mouth-blown objects) and that when the pieces are carefully placed together they don't exactly fit, due to some change in dimension as the stress is relieved. This shows up while running a finger along the crack when pieced dry - if it is a perfect mate you cannot usually feel the crack. Nonetheless, I don't know any method more suitable than bonding with HXTAL, although it may be a bit more noticeable if the item broke as I have described. You mentioned that the break ran completely around the perimeter, which suggests that stress may be the cause.

Have fun! Tom

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE CERAMIC RESTORATION and CONSERVATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.