| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: advise on restoring old metal and wood trunk

Posted By: CJ Green <cjg53@pacbell.net> (adsl-69-231-205-70.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: 7/3/5 20:10

In Response To: Re: advise on restoring old metal and wood trunk (James Schooley)

Dear Rhonda,

Jim is always tops on all these issue so I'm not directing you to additional Internet sites becasue he isn't giving you solid advice. You and your daughter should check out the following two sites mainly for identifying your trunk and luxuriating in the images of all kinds of restored trunks and lockers. As you'll see, even professionaly refinished 19th Century trunks are roughly in the $400 to $600 range but some can fetch as much as $2,500 and up so don;t slough off the value issue. I'm presently working on a Geo. Burroughs trunk from the end of the 19th Century and don't want to put more $ or effort into it than it will return. (I bought it for resale.)

While most trunk restorers will advise you to remove the old paper lining becasue it holds odors I'm a strong believer that you should try to save it at all costs. The trunk I'm working on has what were the equivalent of Victorian stickers on the inside and I want to save those. My only other advice it to look VERY CLOSELY at the trunk to see if semi-hidden repairs were made like screws instead of rivets or tack heads.

Anyway, check out these two Internet sites and the others sites you'll find there as links.

http://www.thisoldtrunk.com/

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/

Brettuns Village also sells lots of replacement parts for old trunks like leather handles which on many trunks, like my present project, one is usually broken or missing...

Have fun!

Best,

CJ Green

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.