| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Cherry Sideboard with smoke residue in finish

Posted By: Joe Brown <joeyb@ezonline.com> (pool-71-114-137-40.hrbgpa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: 6/14/5 16:18

My Mother's cherry sideboard came to me from her estate. She smoked continually with the furniture in her apartment for over forty years. I also have the matching drop-leaf table and dining chairs. I am fairly sure they are Lane (don't want to yet investigate for a hallmark - clean it first!).

As we moved the sideboard into our kitchen, my thirteen-year-old asked why there were two types of wood used in its construction. I didn't know what he meant until I followed his eyes to the top surface where the upper glass portion of the 2-piece unit rests on the lower half. The color of the exposed surface in front of the upper portion is markedly different, darker by many shades than is the half covered by the upper unit. The whole also smells like musty tobacco smoke, which my children find unusual. During transport and brief storage, it was covered and protected by a blanket. The finish is so thick, the fibers of the blanket are embedded in the exposed area, and in places where the blanket had a chance to remain still, when we pulled it off, much of the oil came with it, so the surface now looks like we stencelled it.

So, how do we go about properly removing the film of crud to reveal the true wood? The humor is that all of the colloidal chemicals in the smoke probably helped to preserve it after she could no longer properly oil it (I remember her using Pledge). This is a valuable piece in excellent condition, as are the table and most chairs. Since it is a family heirloom and my wife really like it too, please consider that we will work harder at it than most, so if there is a more labor-intensive or complex process with better results, please include it.

Thanks in advance!

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.