| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Warped Iron Lavabo

Posted By: CJ Green <cjg53@pacbell.net> (adsl-69-231-202-78.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: 5/28/5 14:56

I recently picked up a European iron lavabo (wall fountain)at auction. IT is slightly bowed, from what I don't know, but I'd like to straighten it out before I complete the refinish. (It's coated in thick black paint right now.) Is there a way to accomplish this without snapping the lavabo in half? I'm happy to tqake it to a metal shop if they have a press which will work but I don't want to take their word for it.

Also, does anyone know of a website that has background info on these wall fountians? I have another one which still has much of the porceline on it so it was easy to figure out it was from Belgium. This one has a "6.a." stamped on the front of the bowl but that's the only identifying mark.

Also, the weight says iron but in stripping the paint what comes through doesn't look like iron but like aluminum! Could this be some sort of tin coating over the iron? I don't want to strip that...

Thanks in advance!

Best,

CJ Green

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.