| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Refinishing barrister bookcase

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (67-22-200-210.albyny.adelphia.net)
Date: 5/27/5 16:51

In Response To: Refinishing barrister bookcase (Polly Fisher)

Hi Polly...I wouldn't use contact cement in the way you're describing...liquid hide glue (Franklin in a brown bottle) would be a better choice..use a pallet knife to distribute an even coat among all the loose ply areas and clamp overnight..always best to try to use the original veneer...a waterbased stain will be ok but can be tricky to apply evenly and will give a different look than an oil stain...I would use a traditional varnish (Alkyd) made for furniture...it will provide plenty of durability and impart a nicer, warm amber color to the piece..a GOOD polyurethane varnish will work too...or a tung oil varnish...you can also use a wipe on gel varnish product, they tend to be more forgiving about the application process, as the quality of your finish will be controlled by the proper application technique...and your selection of a quality finish made for furniture...I would use a gel stain after thorough sanding, followed by 3 coats of a traditional Alkyd varnish or tung oil varnish, but hey, that's just me......all these products can be had at www.woodworker.com, and there are good descriptions of them all there too.....best of luck..

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.