| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Refinishing barrister bookcase

Posted By: Polly Fisher <pollygolly@bellsouth.net> (adsl-9-120-195.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: 5/27/5 15:00

I have just stripped & bleached a 3-tier oak barrister's bookcase (Grand Rapids Made, ca. 1920's) which suffered rather severe water damage in last year's hurricanes. It's looking good except for the three backings which are veneered ( front and back) 3/8" wood. I thought it best to keep the original veneer and am currently using contact cement (probably shouldn't) to readhere the pieces that have come loose and are wavy. I am clamping them overnight and hope they stay flat! Then I plan to strip them also. Questions: Am I right in keeping the original veneer or should I just apply new veneer or none at all?

* Is it OK to use waterbased light oak stain instead of oilbased stain on the oak?

* Must I use varnish? Is it a no-no to use polyurathane? Any ideas about the final finish

on the cabinet part would be appreciated.

I'll probably be giving the bookcase to my son, so I would really like to use polyurathane for its protective properties, but I don't want to devalue the piece either. Please give me your opinions. Thank you very much for your help.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.