| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: To Sand or not to Sand, that is the Question.

Posted By: roger demuth <fero@sbcglobal.net> (adsl-69-221-154-23.dsl.akrnoh.ameritech.net)
Date: 5/26/5 15:26

In Response To: Re: To Sand or not to Sand, that is the Question. (roger demuth)

The reason I mentioned Deft is because it is generally available to most people. It is currently my choice simply because I was able to pick up a few gallons at $5.47 each! LOL As far as polyurethane goes, I was luke warm to it when it first came out. I'm old fashioned. Over the years however, I have learned it is nothing more than varnish with tough polymers mixed in. I am able to make poly look like lacquer with proper rubbing out techniques......not the same but pretty darn close. Rubbing it out however is a lot tougher than rubbing out lacquer or shellac.......like 3 times as long. It is not the best finish on really old furniture, but most of the pieces I do are between 50 and 75 years old. My customers are not like Greg's. Mine want their old furniture to look bright and fresh, with a minimum of upkeep. Greg lives in the antique capital of the world........I work mainly with Yuppies who want to wash off that dining table like it was a kitchen counter. I give them the beauty of the wood with a super tough finish. I advise my customers as to treatment of old furniture but in the end, they are the ones paying.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.