| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Roll Top Desk

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (67-22-200-210.albyny.adelphia.net)
Date: 5/25/5 14:54

In Response To: Roll Top Desk (Victor)

) Wow...you've got your work cut out for you...much of the plywood panels are delaminating....hope the paint comes off pretty easily...as the original finish appears to be still on it, it should. To me this looks like American furniture of the early 30's-40's..machine cut dovetails, plywood side panels, simple, plain lines, factory construction techniques..soft maple secondary wood...probably east of the great lakes...the wood will probably strip and clean well, but those plywood panels will be a challenge to restore. Often they delaminate all over, and can't be easily repaired..if you can knock the hide glued construction apart you can use the original panels as templates and replace them with new plywood panels, and since you're completely refinishing they'll blend right in...i've done that on several occasions, the hardest part being the matching of the grain whe finding the replacement material, you'll probably need to seek out a Lumber store instead of the local Home Center plywood to find a nice flat sawn cabinet grade panel..... injecting a warm vinegar solution into the joints will help loosen them up, or sometimes what little glue that's left in the joints will pop apart with the sharp rap of a mallet. $35 sounds like a steal until you really start to add up the hours you'll spend on this....it'll be a lot...and it's plain jane furniture that doesn't really command any serious value in the market place...but it is well made and useful, and I'd love to see it after the restoration anyway... If anything, it will make a great before and after show piece..but if you want to sell it you probably will just break even. Best of luck

(Posted from my emails with Victor

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.