| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: painting wicker suggestions

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (67-22-200-210.albyny.adelphia.net)
Date: 5/25/5 10:30

In Response To: painting wicker suggestions (Christine)

What you need to do is to use a glazing technique, meaning that you basically apply a colored medium to the wicker and then rub it off selectively making it appear old..you can use a Gel stain or a oil or even latex paint, I'm assuming this is fairly modern furniture that is probably painted with lacquer or a latex paint...I would clean it first with a scrub brush and mild soap solution in warm water, then let it dry thoroughly. My first choice would probably be a Gel stain applied with a dry brush technique, meaning that you use very little of the gel on the brush, and work it down into the wicker carefully as to not get too much into the weave.The advantage to the Gel is the longer open time meaning that you'll have more time to get it right before it starts to set up, and it's not as opaque as a paint will be. The Bartley product excels in these type of situations, and they have two colors I'd recommend: Walnut and Antique pine...usually a mix of the two will give you a nice color for this type of use, but experimentation is the key, and all their colors are good. These stains have a urethane base so they really dry hard and will be pretty durable, although a clear coat on top might not be a bad idea, but not necessary...experiment on the underside or somewhere out of the way. Once you get an even looking coat on a section, then you can take a rag and wipe the surface down to bring the white out and leave the weave darker. If it gets blotchy or uneven you can wipe the brush off completely or better yet use a second clean brush and "dry brush" the surface to even out the area and wipe again with the ragging. The aim is to apply just enough color to simulate a patina and not too much where it looks like you've smeared it with too much color...and there is a fine line. Start with too little color first and then add....in this situation you can't really go backwards if you over apply the stain, so start light and add as needed. You'll quickly get a feel for how to apply it as you go to get the result you're after.I'll be interested to see what other methods get suggested and please tell us which you select and how it comes out...

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.