| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: boiled linseed oil combustible?!?!?

Posted By: roger demuth <fero@sbcglobal.net> (adsl-69-221-147-117.dsl.akrnoh.ameritech.net)
Date: 5/10/5 18:25

In Response To: Re: boiled linseed oil combustible?!?!? (Greg Scholl)

As there have been several references to spontaneous combustion over the past few days I feel I have to put in my 2 cents worth. If you bunch up a lot of oil soaked rags (ie. in a trash can) they can catch on fire. I have read so much that says to soak them in water until you are ready to dispose of them also. The fact is that the more tightly they are packed, the more likely a fire. I know some refinishers prefer using only cotton but I use a lot of paper towels. Why waste cotton to wipe off stain when paper towels are so cheap?

When I wipe off stain and the towel becomes soaked it goes on the floor. A large project may net me 50 or more towels, all of which festoon my shop floor. The next day I pick them up and throw them away. My point is that those 50 paper towels packed in a trash can is a fire hazard. Spread out over the floor, they get air and cannot combust. Spontaneous combustion needs minimal air. One book I read years ago said to hang them on a line to dry. I can remember as a kid we put grass clippings in garbage cans........they got hot. Spread over the lawn caused no problem though.

Safety is important but someone who saves one rag overnight I doubt has any kind of problem.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.