| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Barrister Bookcases/ Globe-Wernecke

Posted By: James Schooley <furnitureissues@earthlink.net> (0-2pool241-252.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 5/10/5 09:47

In Response To: Barrister Bookcases/ Globe-Wernecke (Jennifer G.)

Alcohol will help dissolve the glue as well as steam. I use a drapery steamer with a hose. The more moisture you use the worse it can be for the one layer type wood backs. The glue is often so thick that I can soften it with a gentle flame from my butane torch, and a spray bottle to keep the wood wet. The heat will soften the thick gobs to carve right off. I prefer to remove these split backs and close the gaps between ply boards, to help flatten and control everything. Some splits can be glued and closed with a furniture clamp. Some require a little coaxing with moisture and time. The ply should be covered with waxed paper to avoid sticking to the wood. Once all the cracks are glued shot leave the ply and some weight in place till they flatten ought, some steam from time to time to hasten the process. At times the cracks are to wide to close and then I make a matching wedge to fill the space and hide it with stain then nail them back in place. Remember the backs need to keep every thing solid and square so a weak back is bad for heavy books.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.