| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: refinishing art deco bedroom set

Posted By: roger demuth <fero@sbcglobal.net> (adsl-69-221-162-117.dsl.akrnoh.ameritech.net)
Date: 5/9/5 15:38

In Response To: Re: refinishing art deco bedroom set (James Schooley)

My customers think I use some magic professional stripper unavailable to the unwashed masses. I have used Kleenstrip paste for years. $14.99 a gallon and it is as good as anything i have tried.......and I've tried them all! Art deco and depression era furniture usually has a lot of what my wife refers to as "fru-frus". Carvings....fancy stuff, etc. When I run into this....and on turned legs....I put on several coats of stripper to get the old finish to a liquid. Then I use lots and lots of paper towels to simply wipe off the old finish. Following that I scrub it down with lacquer thinner and steel wool to clean it up.

To finish what James was saying....."Is it possible you can sa" ve the old finish? If the finish is intact but just dull, you might try to scrub it down with naptha and 0000 steel wool. Follow with a cleaner such as Minwax wood cleaner. If it looks a lot better, then wax it and you are done. Unfortunately this furniture is often not appreciated for what it is and is often abused and eventually thrown away. I recently rescued a dresser and vanity from the trash and after giving it new life (refinishing), my wife now uses it and loves it. Most of my business however is in refinishing whereas James does mostly restoration I believe.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.