| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: revarnish oak table

Posted By: Greg Scholl <beatkat@adelphia.net> (67-22-200-210.albyny.adelphia.net)
Date: 5/3/5 09:03

In Response To: Re: revarnish oak table (Denise Creask)

Hi Denise, you'll need to completely remove the wax finish. I really would recommend stripping the table with a varnish remover, as this will be the most complete removal method and the wood needs to be as clean and wax free as possible to allow the new varnish to have the best adhesion. After stripping and thourough drying, then sand smooth with 80- 120 grit sandpaper and vacuum the dust off completely. You say the varnish you bought is a medium oak, I'm assuming that means it has a color in it. I always recommend using a stain to get the color you desire and then using a clear topcoat to protect it and get the proper sheen. Sometimes using a varnish with color in it can make it hard to get an even color, especially on a large flat surface like a table, and you end up with a less than perfect job. I'm not too familiar with the products you can get there, but a Gel stain like Bartley's Antique Pine or Walnut are two good colors for Oak. This is a foolproof way to stain and seal the table in one operation,as gel stains are easy to work with and set up fairly slowly as well as filling the pores a bit. Then follow with two coats of a good satin varnish, or a wipe on Polyurethane varnish product.This will protect the table from almost any abuse the kids can dish out- Best of luck

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.