| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: Depression Era Dining Room Set

Posted By: roger demuth <fero@sbcglobal.net> (adsl-69-221-130-154.dsl.akrnoh.ameritech.net)
Date: 5/2/5 15:07

In Response To: Depression Era Dining Room Set (Mark)

As a first timer I'm going to assume you are using a pimented oil base stain such as Minwax. Wiping it down with mineral spirits will lighten it if the stain hasn't been on too long. Lacquer thinner will help too. If it is still too dark, try a thin coat of the stripper you used to strip it. That should take care of the most of it but if it is still too dark, you may have to bleach it. Household bleach will suffice in this case, but after the bleach neutralize it with white vinegar, then resand and restain. I use lots of different kinds of stains but my favorite on walnut is Minwax Special Walnut. It isn't real dark and has a slight reddish hue. The secondary wood probably isn't oak but be birch, although more common would be a neutral whitewood such as basswood. You may need a darker stain on it. If I am doing a pice in special walnut I usually stain the solid secondary wood (legs etc) with dar walnut or a walnut gel stain to get it to match.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.