| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: china cabinet & buffet info

Posted By: James Schooley <furnitureissues@earthlink.net> (0-1pool247-8.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 4/30/5 09:46

In Response To: Re: china cabinet & buffet info (Greg Scholl)

The other pictures show an embossed (not carved) trim that it characteristic of the 40's forward. A very telling detail on the age of these items is on the brackets where I think I can see a visible countersunk screw. Very few manufacturers prior to 1945 would have allowed visible fastener heads to show in this way. The numbers on the back are reminiscent of later stenciling, and the ply is not as likely from pre 1900. The pieces may have been repainted along the way, but it was not uncommon for the finishers to have put down a base coat and then gone over that with a wash coat or transparent top coat, to give a tone variation. I can not see any stain and finish peeking through the paint and that would be a big indication of what you suggest, painting cherry is very rare in the factory setting. If you are real positive of antiquity, go ahead and strip a patch in an out of the way location, that may be the best way for you to tell. I hear a lot of stories about old family furniture, and they often confuse dates and generate extra age.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.