| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: The hated Pledge!

Posted By: jim crowder <jcrwdr@ev1.net> (twhou-215-60.ev1.net)
Date: 4/26/5 17:27

In Response To: The hated Pledge! (roger demuth)

pledgeeee--- bad news stuff, let me share some of the secrets that I have learned over the years and that were passed on to me by another master finisher. 1st wash the piece really good with a good soap and water solution, this will get the dirt off and help break some of the surface tension, then take VM P Naptha and wash the piece very carefully, best to do it panel by panel and change rages often as the pledge will get in your rag and you keep spreading it around, strip, clean again, do a wash coat of shellac, then stain and finish. If you use fish eye remover in first coat of finish you have to use in all following coats. use sparingly as to much will cloud finish. auto finish suppliers hve wax and grease removers they sell, but i have found that VMP NAPTHA WORKS ABOUT AS WELL. AS with all rags be careful of how you dispose of used rags as they will self combuste, best to submerge them in a bucket of water, then dispose of properly

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.