| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: cleaning antique furniture

Posted By: roger demuth <fero@sbcglobal.net> (adsl-69-221-152-61.dsl.akrnoh.ameritech.net)
Date: 4/19/5 18:16

In Response To: cleaning antique furniture (jean)

Jean, It sounds as though you have a major project that cleaning will not solve. Rippled and missing veneer won't be helped by cleaning but i think you already have guessed that. Rippled veneer means it is loose from the ground (or substrate). The quick fix for that is using an iron on the rippled places. The heat will usually reactivate the original glue. the missing parts are more complicated though. You will need to replace the veneer. The best way to do that is to cut out the old veneer in a V shape and fit in new veneer. then you need to stain it to match the old veneer. i imagine you will have to refinish the whole piece, so cleaning would be a moot point.

What you are attempting usually takes years of experience but maybe we can talk you through it. Consider what i said and if you want to continue, post more messages with questions. You may get an education! It isn't impossible to do if you have never done it before. We will try to help all we can.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.