| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

"new antique"

Posted By: Robert Dawson <rasdawson@hotmail.com> (manc-cache-1.server.ntli.net)
Date: 4/15/5 19:16

I have recently bought what appeared to the untrained eye to be a relatively old corner unit. The unit is veneered and has a simple moulding on the lower door. The upper door has a glass panel and the glass is secured by a braid like cord. I didn't buy it with any other intention than to enjoy it(and didn't pay much for it either) however I am curious as to it's age. On close inspection the inside of the unit could be 'sprayed' (the colour appears to fade off toward the corners) Reading what I have written I feel like I've already answered my own question however on the top of the unit are 2 (one on either side) discoloured (or rather faded) rings which suggest that at sometime the unit stood in a high ceilinged house (in the UK most homes built in the last 80 years are only 7'6" high) with something - perhaps candle sticks - sitting on top (these rings appear fairly old as the wood is unfinished and although clearly visible the rings have 'aged' quite noticably) I guess my question at the end of this essay is - how long have spray techniques been employed in finishing furniture and are there any other methodes of finishing that would give a similar appearance? Thanks for any information Rob

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.