| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Desktop Veneer

Posted By: Tim Crabtree <tcrabtree@visertech.com> (h-67-101-169-99.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: 4/11/5 13:35

I have an antique desk that I inherited from my mother. The veneered top and side panels have delaminated and somewhere along the line someone replaced the top leather with green felt. The top veneer was beyond being salvaged so I have removed the veneer and the felt from the top and have ordered new desk leather. My question is twofold:

The secondary wood (pine I believe) is very thick and in places runs cross grain to the grain direction of the veneer. This caused the veneer to crack. I was wondering what glue would be best to provide some elasticity between the secondary wood and the veneer to help avoid cracking in the future.

Secondly, the primary wood appears to be a very evened grain walnut and has that aged honey color that I donít think I can easily duplicate with a new walnut veneer. I have the ability to resaw and sand my own veneer and was thinking of using alder as a substitute for the walnut and staining it to match the aged color of the desk. This would also allow me to cut a slightly thicker veneer (.060Ē) to better match the thickness of the desk leather.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. It is not too late to alter my plans Ė I just canít put the original veneer back!

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.