| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD

Re: NEW WOOD ANTIQUING

Posted By: James Schooley <furnitureissues@earthlink.net> (0-1pool246-82.nas2.sioux-city1.ia.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: 4/8/5 02:55

In Response To: NEW WOOD ANTIQUING (MELINDA)

When ever I need to create these kinds of effects I like to use an oil base background heavily brushed on over the entire surface. Next I distress the surface with a number of roughing tools, a draw knife or hand plane, a ring of keys on a handle, a rolling pin forced over bits of aquarium gravel, then light sand paint base color once more and when dry, seal with a sanding sealer, shellac or lacquer, and then a glaze. In your case this would be a black glaze over a mustard, or raw sienna base paint. Wipe off the excess glaze and when sufficiently dry, I begin a process of sealer and sanding followed by more black glaze, then more scuffing with a purple scotch bright pad, then a coat of black lacquer. When the black lacquer is dry I use a sanding pad with 320 grit wet/dry sand paper and some naptha, and wipe all the dust off. When the right amount of burn through is reached I use a couple coats of top coat flat lacquer. You could also use gloss top coat and knock the shine down in the areas where it looks right. this is a lot of steps and one could skip one or two but the depth and convincing richness of age will take a bit to get it right.

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

ANTIQUE FURNITURE RESTORATION DISCUSSION BOARD is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 3.21.